Fuzzi Bunz: 1 month later & Stripping

Okay so it’s been a month since we started using Fuzzi Bunz one size diapers. The diapers have started to leak and I wasn’t sure what was causing it. It really confused me since they held so great in the beginning! Well I went on the Fuzzi Bunz website and low and behold the detergent I’m using is no longer recommended for Cloth diaper use. Crap! So for this entire month I’ve been using All Free and Clear because I read it was safe to use with Fuzzi Bunz diapers.

*Buzzer noise sounds*
Nope!
Wrong!

Apparently All Free and Clear contains oils that can cause your diaper to repel liquid and so the inserts won’t be able to absorb all the liquid they normally can. This is easily fixed with a change in detergent and by stripping the diapers. Well I did the “nasal aspirator test” and guess what the diapers were repelling the water.


So I tried to strip the diapers in the machine just like the Fuzzi Bunz website says to but that didn’t work so well. Maybe I didn’t use enough soap the first time. Who knows? The above pictures are what “repelling liquid” looks like on a Fuzzi Bunz diaper.

More about Stripping cloth diapers:
Stripping your cloth diapers is just regular maintenance. It’s kinda like when you take your car to get an oil change every 3,000 miles. It’s normal to have some kind of detergent build up in your cloth diapers after a while and so when you “strip” your diapers you’re removing all the build up out of the diaper. There are a lot of different ways to “strip” your diapers on the internet. The way I stripped the diapers was according to the Fuzzi Bunz website and it states that you just use a tablespoon of Dawn dish washing soap in replacement of your normal detergent when you machine wash your diapers. Well I tried that so my next option was to take a small drop of Dawn soap (Blue original formula) and to scrub the fleece with a tooth brush.
 

Afterward, you just rinse your diapers and throw them in a hot wash without any detergents.


The Fuzzi Bunz are drying so I can’t know if the stripping worked yet. I’ll update this again once they’re dry.

Update 6/6/10:
The diapers dried last night before my trip to L&D. I’ll be writing more about that in another post. I didn’t get a chance to test the diapers after the wash with the nasal aspirator but I did put them on the girls to see if they’d leak in the morning. Well this morning they woke up and they were dry! I’m very happy the stripping worked, no more pee covered babies in the morning. Yay! 🙂

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s